Home Page
THE ANNESLEY ROYAL SCOTS
Complete Annesley allocation Jan.1948 - Jan.1966
Ashpit arrivals 1/11/1962 and 13/2/1964
THE ANNESLEY "DIDO"
Profile of drivers Joe Barber and Tommy Wilson
ANNESLEY TO WOODFORD
Annesley "9F's" on passenger work....
Annesley Locomotive Photo Gallery
The Annesley "running board" 31/3/64
DRIVERS AND FIREMEN LINK BY LINK - 17/02/1958
Where are they now?
Visiting engines
Signal boxes
Annesley Locomen (and others)
Official visit to Annesley MPD. 4th March 1961
Great Central Accidents

CLICK TO ENLARGE
67363_butlers_hill_12_6_56.jpg
"C12" 4-4-2T 67363 is seen at Butler's Hill on 12th June 1956

The Annesley "Dido"

ANNESLEY "DIDO" 1953 WORKING TIMETABLE
annesley dido winter timetable1953.jpeg
CLICK TO ENLARGE

CLICK TO ENLARGE
annesley006.jpg
"N7" 0-6-2T no.69651 stands out of use on no.7 road in this rare colour shot.

The Annesley "Dido" was the workmans train that ferried staff between Bulwell Common, Hucknall, Newstead and Annesley. Some trips were down the GN branch, serving Hucknall Town and Newstead, others were on the GC main line, calling at Hucknall Central,Annesley South Platform, and Hollinwell and Annesley.


CLICK TO ENLARGE
early_dido.jpeg
Sacre 4-4-0 no.439

This photo of Sacre 4-4-0 no.439 was taken (waiting for her next "Dido" duty) on 21st July 1923. Built at Gorton Works in May 1877, she was withdrawn from Annesley in October 1925 

CLICK ALL PHOTOS TO ENLARGE!
scan0009dido.jpg
An outside-framed 4-4-0 heads the 7.35 away from Bulwell Common in this 1925 photo.

In the early days (at least) for the benefit of the Carriage & Wagon staff, the 7.35 am departure from Bulwell Common was a five-coach formation, which returned from Annesley sidings at 5.10 pm on weekdays, and about 1.00pm on Saturdays. Here we have Sacre 4-4-0 no.439 leaving Bulwell Common in 1925.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
6466

"D12" 4-4-0 no.6466 is seen here at Bulwell Common in July 1926. She was withdrawn three months later.

A 1926 view of the "Dido" resting at Annesley Loco
scan0002dido.jpg

LNER "D9" 4-4-0 no.6016 (62303) was based at Annesley from 8/11/1919 to 31/1/1937

6124_dido_1929.jpg

Ex-Great Central Class "C14" 4-4-2T no.6124 with the Annesley "Dido" in 1929. Apart from a 6-month break, she was at Annesley for 20 years, from May 1919 till May 1939. Renumbered 67444 By British Railways, she was withdrawn from Gorton (39A) in July 1957 after a working life of 50 years.

img032.jpg

The 1930's saw all but one of the "C14" 4-4-2T's shedded at Annesley (at various times) to work the "Dido". Here we have no.6121. As 67441 she was withdrawn from Gorton (then 39A) in August 1957

6120_2.jpg

These 1930 photo's see "C14" no.6120 arriving at Hucknall Central.

6120.jpg

1937 to 1940 saw the "Dido" worked by Sentinel 2-Cylinder Railcars, Nos.43306 & 43307. These were replaced by Sentinel 6-Cylinder Railcars nos. 51908 (Jan.1941) & 51912 (Nov.1939) These were finally withdrawn in 1943. No.43307 stands proudly on No.1 road in this 1937 shot (below).

43307.jpg

B.V. Clarke Collection
sentinel.jpg
Sentinel Railcar at Bulwell Common Station 1939

CLICK TO ENLARGE
steam_memories_4.jpg
"F2" 2-4-2T no.7105 stands at Newstead (GN) with the Bulwell-bound "Dido" in August 1946.

From 1942 till the summer of 1949 the "Dido" was worked by ex-GC Class "F2" 2-4-2 tank engines. Here we have No.7105 at Newstead in August 1946. She was condemned in August 1948, leaving 7106 and 7107 soldiering on for another year.

7107_hucknall.jpg

Here we have 7107 at Hucknall Central on 23rd July 1948 with the 14.18 departure to Bulwell Common. 

dido_coaches.jpg

The ex-GCR push & pull set E5344E stands in Annesley 'loco yard on 4th April 1954 (above), and is seen at Newstead (GN) below.

dido_at_newstead_1952.jpg
The "Dido" stands at Newstead (GN) in this 1952 photo

.....It was then the turn of the "C12" 4-4-2 tanks! they worked the "Dido" from 1950 to 1956.
Probably the most memorable engine to work the "Dido", for trainspotters and enginemen alike, was ex-GN Class C12 4-4-2T no.67363.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
ann006.jpg
The "Dido" engine everyone remembers - "C12" 4-4-2T no.67363 stands ready for duty.

67387.jpg
"C12" 4-4-2T no.67387 heads the "Dido" in this pre-1952 photo. She moved to 32D in January 1952.

12th May 1956
dido2.jpg
The "Dido" is pictured at Annesley North Junction signal box. with "C12" 4-4-2T no.67363

Class "C12" 4-4-2T no.67363 at Bulwell Common
67363_.jpg
67363 moved to Tilbury (33B) 10/56 and then to New England 08/58. She was withdrawn 3 months later.

CLICK TO ENLARGE!
67363_ashpits_21_5_50.jpg

A rare photo of 67363 and its one coach on the ashpits at Annesley on 21st May 1950

67363 must have been unavailable in this 1952 view
61063.jpg
"B1" 4-6-0 61063 departs from Bulwell Common. She was withdrawn from Woodford (2F) in Feb.1962

67387 was replaced at the end of 1951 by ex-Great Eastern "N7" 0-6-2 Tanks no.69651 and 69695,the latter being replaced in May 1954 by sister locomotive no.69692.

Kidderminster Railway Museum
69695_16_3_52.jpg
"N7" 0-6-2T no.69695 stands out of service on 16th March 1952

CLICK TO ENLARGE
69692_hucknall.jpg
69692 at Hucknall Town on 22nd June 1954

"Brewing up" at Bulwell Common
69692_dido.jpg
"N7" 0-6-2T no.69692 returned to its native G.E.territory in October 1956. (Wdn Sept.1962 from 30A)

CLICK TO ENLARGE
dido4.jpg
Driver Joe Barber withThe "Dido" at Newstead in1956

CLICK TO ENLARGE
e_003__1.jpg

The "Dido" has just passed under Farleys Lane bridge, propelled by an "N7" 0-6-2T on its way to Bulwell Common in this c.1954 view.

DON'T FORGET - CLICK TO ENLARGE
dido3.jpg

Ex-GE "N7" 0-6-2T no.69651 is propelling her two coaches into Bulwell Common station in this early 'fifties shot.

The two "N7's" and  67363 soldiered on until October 1956, when all three were replaced by a trio of ex-Great Central "A5" 4-6-2 Tanks, nos.69809, 69818 and 69825.

69818.jpg

69818 leaves Bulwell Common with the with Dido on 9th October 1958

CLICK TO ENLARGE
dido_stuff.jpg
Courtesy of Rex Pearl. This circular was posted on 13th September 1956

"A5" 4-6-2T no.69825 out of use 19/10/1958
69825.jpg
69825 was on "Dido" duties from October 1956. She was transferred to Colwick in Dec.1958

copyright R.J.Blencowe (CLICK TO ENLARGE)
69818_30_4_58.jpg
21st April 1958 sees "A5" 4-6-2T no.69818 parked on no.1 road

CLICK TO ENLARGE
69818_9_10_58.jpg


These in turn lasted until December 1958, when "Midlandisation" had reared its ugly head!
January 1959 saw the arrival at Annesley of three Fowler Class "4" Tanks, nos. 42333, 42339 and 42361. They lasted exactly a year before being transferred to Trafford Park (9E).

29th August 1959. Newstead (GN) station.
42361_29aug59.jpg
Annesley's 2-6-4T no.42361 departs with the "Dido" She was withdrawn from Gorton (9G) Feb.1964

When the rostered engine was out of action, any available loco' could be seen on the "dido". Here we have a rare shot of "9F" no.92011 at Newstead (GN) on 5th May 1959

img055.jpg

...and approaching Bulwell Common probably on the same date.

92011_dido.jpg

Not to be outdone, sister 92012 is seen here approaching Bulwell Common (below)

92012_on_dido.jpg

......next came the two engines that were probably the most suitable for the "Dido" - Ivatt Class "2" Tanks nos.41280 and 41320. The latter was transferred to Exmouth Junction on the Southern Region in September 1961, leaving her sister to soldier on alone until April 1962.

41320
41320 stands idle in May 1960

CLICK TO ENLARGE
41280_2..jpg
41280 stands ready for another "Dido" duty. She was withdrawn from Leicester (Midland) in Dec.1962

img046.jpg
41320 has just left Hucknall Town (ex-GN) station with the "up" Dido

Although the end was in sight for the "Dido" 41280 was replaced by yet three more "modern" engines. BR Standard Class "2" 2-6-2 Tanks nos.84006,84007 and 84027.

84006_2.jpg

84006 is seen here taking water at Bulwell Common.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
84006.jpg
84006 awaits her next "dido" duty. Behind is sister engine 84007.

It has been suggested that the "Dido" was so nicknamed because it ran "day in, day out". Although probably true,I cannot confirm this as I never heard it discussed in my time at Annesley.
No.5 link at Annesley was always known as the "Dido" Link, although it only formed a small part of the link's 24 workings. Unfortunately, by the time I reached this link, the "Dido" had ceased to run. It stopped running at the end of the Summer timetable on 8th September 1962.

copyright M.S.Castledine. CLICK TO ENLARGE
84007_13_1_63.jpg

The last two "Dido" tanks out of use on 13th January 1963

CLICK TO ENLARGE
84007_84027_13_1_63.jpg